Length of study
Students need 30 credits to graduate. Among them, 18 credits come from course work, 12 credits will come from dissertation work.
Please see course schedule for details. [# = Required courses; * = Class offered every two years, check for availability]
- Seminar in public health I (3085E109)#
- Research methods for social and behavioral science (3085E085)#
- Occupational and environmental health (3080E194)
- Applied statistics (A054E001)#*
- Seminar in public health II (3085E075)#
- Research planning and design (3085E058)#
- Special topics in global public health I (3085E111) #
- Analysis of multivariate data (3085E088)#
- Special topics in health policy and behavioral science I (3085E104)
- Applied epidemiology#*
- Seminar in public health III (3085E087)#
- Individual studies (30850071)#
- Special topics in global public health II (3085E112) #
- Environmental and occupational epidemiology (3080E048)*
- Special topics in health policy and behavioral science II (3085E105)
- Seminar in public health IV (3085E091)#
- Consultation of public health practice (30850017)#
- Dissertation (30850021)#
- Need to have a dissertation advisor before the end of the first year.
- Qualification of dissertation advisor. All of the following must apply.
- The advisor should be a full-time faculty in SPH.
- The advisor should have published original research articles in SCI or SSCI journals within the past three years as a first author or as a corresponding author.
- The advisor should have been a principle investigator in a research project within the past three years.
- The advisor must not have a ph.d. student who has been enrolled in SPH Ph.D. program for more than 7 years.
- In situations when a student wishes to replace his/her dissertation advisor with someone else, formal request needs to be submitted to department administrators for evaluation.
Ph. D. qualifier
- Students are eligible to become a Ph.D. candidate after passing the qualifier examination.
- Students have two tries to pass the examination.
- Students can start taking the qualifiers after first year and have to pass the qualifier before the end of the third year.
- Students failed to complete the qualifier twice will be expelled from the Ph.D. program.
- Students wish to take the qualifier examination in that semester should submit their applications within the first week of that semester.
- Topic: research methods, and global public health.
- Proposal defense needs to be completed before the end of the fourth year of study.
- Students have two tries to pass the proposal defense.
- Failure to complete proposal defense within the required period will be expelled from the program.
- Publish 2 papers in SCI or SSCI journals, or publish 1 paper and Submit 1 article in SCI or SSCI journals.
- Publications have to be part of the doctorate dissertation, and the advisor has to be a corresponding author for at least one of the two papers.
- To present a paper (oral) in an international conference.
- Pass the pre-defense dissertation review prior to oral defense.
- Pass the dissertation defense in accordance with university guidelines.
Address：5F Health Science Building,250 Wu-Hsing Street, Taipei City, TAIWAN 110