Fulbright scholarships are available to Indonesian citizens to undertake graduate degree study or advanced research at a US university in a variety of fields.
The MA and PhD scholarships support two and three years of graduate study respectively at a US university. The Visiting Scholar Program allows an Indonesian holding a doctoral degree to carry out research for three to six months at an American university.
Selection preference will be given to candidates who have not had extensive recent US experience, for example those who have previously received a Fulbright scholarship. Candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, status as a parent, or sexual orientation. Applications from qualified candidates beyond major cities on Java, e.g., eastern Indonesia, are particularly welcome.
The applicant should:
- Be an Indonesian citizen and not a permanent resident or citizen of the US, or be currently living in the US
- Possess leadership qualities and show experience in community service
- Have preparation in, and a demonstrated commitment to their chosen field of study
- Be proficient in English
- Have an outstanding academic record
- Demonstrate that they can realistically accomplish full-time graduate study or conduct research in the US
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to return to Indonesia upon completion of the Fulbright scholarship program
- Be willing to work for at least five years before retirement upon the completion of the scholarship program
An applicant will be ineligible if he or she is:
- An employee, close family member of an employee, or dependent of an employee of AMINEF, the US Embassy, or the US Department of State
- Currently pursuing another degree
- Receiving another scholarship at the time of the application
- Pursuing another similar program for a double degree
Submission Requirements (to be supplied in English)
- Completed application form, including one-page study objective for master’s and PhD scholarships, and 3-5-page research proposal for PhD and Research scholarships
- Copy of most recent (less than two years old) TOEFL ITP or IELTS scores
- Two letters of reference, either from an employer or a university lecturer
- Copy of academic transcript and diploma (in original language and in English translation)
- Copy of valid identity document (KTP or passport)
- Curriculum vitae
The scholarship will provide the following benefits:
- J-1 visa support
- Round-trip economy class air travel from scholarship recipient’s home city to the host institution in the US
- Funding for tuition and fees, living and related costs
- Accident and health insurance coverage per US Government guidelines
- Support is not provided for accompanying dependents.
Eligible Fields of Study
Fulbright grants may be used for study or research in most disciplines and fields of study with the exception of medicine related to patient care or clinical patient contact. Proposals in humanities, arts, and social sciences, and in science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM), and health are equally welcome. Particularly welcome are applications in STEM fields that focus on environmental preservation, alternative energy exploration, or climate change mitigation.
At the time of application to AMINEF only a TOEFL Institutional Testing Program (ITP) or IELTS score is required. If you are later selected for an award, you must then take the official TOEFL iBT (Internet-based TOEFL) test, the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) for all fields except law and business, or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) for business administration, finance, and accounting.
Master’s and PhD Scholarship
- Application Deadline*: February 15
Application Screening: March
Shortlist Announcement: June
Visiting Scholar Program
- Application Deadline*: November 1
Application Screening: November
Shortlist Announcement: January
*Exact deadlines every year may be subject to change and if the application falls on a weekend or public holiday, it is automatically extended to the following work day.